Szczecin University, founded over 27 years ago, may boast itself on the fact that it is West Pomerania's largest university. The city and university are located in direct geographical and cultural proximity to Germany and within 100-kilometer distance from the Baltic Sea.
Szczecin is often referred to as the “Paris of the North” due to its original urban design, i.e. distinctive star-shaped squares and roundabouts. The city is especially valued for its green spaces; there are plenty of parks and lush green squares. Szczecin University is a new, dynamic and, what is most important, successful university. In a two-year period it was able to acquire funds equaling 20 million zlotych from the European Union.
In 2005, Newsweek magazine ranked Szczecin University as 15th among 96 universities which educate the largest number of senior management and chief executive staff in Poland. Moreover,among those that Szczecin University has honored for theircontributions to science and society, i.e. granted the title of doctor honoris causa, we may find: Dr Manfred Stolpe, Hans-Dietrich Genscher, Christopher F. Patten, Günter Verheugen, Prof. John D. Barrow and Prof. Richard Pipes.Resently about 20,000 students are following full-time, evening and part-time studies at Szczecin University. Nine out of its ten faculties are located in the centre of a beautiful, green town on the Odra river whose historical and modern buildings dot the centre and surrounding areas. These are:
• Faculty of Humanities, Krakowska 71/79 Str. (sociology, psychology, political science, philosophy), Cukrowa 8 Str. (history, international relations), Ogińskiego 16/17 Str. (education)
• Faculty of Philology, Piastów W 40 B Av. (Philologies: Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, English, French), Rycerska 3 Str. (German philology)
• Faculty of Economics and Management, Mickiewicza 64/66 Str.
• Faculty of Management and Economics of Services, Cukrowa 8 Str.
• Faculty of Biology, Felczaka 3c Str., Wąska 13 Str.
• Faculty of Geosciences, Mickiewicza 16-18 Str.
• Faculty of Mathematics and Physic, Wielkopolska 15 Str.
• Faculty of Theology, Papieża Pawła IV 2 Str.
• Faculty of Law and Administration, Narutowicza 17a Str.
• Faculty of Physical Education and Health Promotion, Piastow 40 B Str.
There is also an out-of-town faculty of Administration in Jarocin (Przemysłowa 3 Str.), Economies in Wałcz (Bydgoska 50 Str.) and Socio-economics in Gorzów Wlkp. (Chopina 53 Str.)
al. Papieża Jana Pawła II 31 ,